Your local Council may provide bin services for the collection of garden waste, food scraps, or mixed food and garden waste in your area, and some commercial collection companies provide garden waste collections.

More often than not, the materials collected by your Council or commercial collector will be sent to a commercial composting plant, and it's important to understand what they can and cannot take. Check your Council's website to find out if they offer one of these services, and if they do, what materials they can accept in their bins. Otherwise do a web search to see if you have a local bin collector that takes garden waste.

There are numerous facilities around New Zealand that process green waste using a variety of methods including windrow, aerated static piles; vermicomposting or in-vessel methods.

Commercial composting